Lots to write about this week! On Saturday the 18th, we had our Madson family party. My parents did not make it this year because my niece, Melissa and her husband had their little boy sealed to them in the Idaho Falls temple. We started off the party by wrapping up a bunch of gifts and food the whole family had donated. These were then dropped off to a family. After coming back home, we had dinner together. Jayson is always in charge of entertainment every year....I guess because he is the most entertaining! This year, along with games, he asked that each family bring an object lesson, a tradition, or some other thing to share with the whole family. When I was in Logan a couple of weeks ago, I ran across some nativity costumes. I have always thought it would be fun to have a live nativity at our party. So, Tyson dressed as a shepherd, Maddie and Carter were Mary and Joseph, Greg read the Christmas story from the Bible, and Kaden played some music......and I enjoyed!
Here is my handsome shepherd boy getting ready.

Here are Carter and Maddie getting ready for their entrance.

My handsome husband reading the Christmas story.

Here is a close-up of the angelic little ones.

As they came into the room, they kept walking in circles. At first Carter had his arm around Maddie and it was so cute! Then when they stopped, Maddie's arms went around him, and it looks like he is touching her belly. So cute!

Here is the baby Jesus in the manger. I thought it was cute that he is on a pillow and not the floor!

Kaden is going to be a percussionist/drummer in the band this year, so it was fun for him to show us his skills.

After our part, Jayson and Kassi shared theirs. Jay talked about a tree and how it doesn't turn into a Christmas tree until we add ornaments that have meaning to us. Then Kassi passed out ornaments to each of us to write on to add to the tree. They said we could write things we are grateful for or that are important to us this Christmas season. After we had each written, Jayson asked Tyson to go first. He wouldn't read his aloud, and was hiding his face. He told me to read it for him. When I looked at the ornament, he had written, "Adopted" on it, because that is what he is grateful for. Needless to say, the tears started, and I had a hard time reading it aloud. Then Tyson got really teary too. I noticed that after a little while, each of the kids came and gave Tyson a hug and had some quiet words for him. This tree is taped to my mantel, and believe me, it will not be coming down for some time. I have 3 trees that I have decorated this year, but none of them is as beautiful to me as this crayon-colored paper tree.

Ryan told about a story his family read last year about filling the manger for baby Jesus with pieces of hay that represent good deeds. It was a really cute story and a fun tradition for them to have.

Dave told about his family's tradition of reading the Christmas story from the Book of Mormon to show how Christ's birth was a world-wide event. Then Kris and Maddie sang "Away in a Manger." It was beautiful.

The grandkids were the most fun to watch open presents! They each were so excited and cute! I had just told Kristen earlier in the day about how I needed to cut down on presents, so I probably wasn't going to buy clothes and p.j.'s anymore for the kids. They are generally never excited about them anyway, so maybe next year I would just buy the annual book and toy. So, this year Carter loved his p.j.'s and clothes. Too funny!

Maddie was so excited to see she got "sing-a-majigs!" She loved them and I think they are really funny and cute. Ryan and Jayson didn't like them near as much as I did....but who cares!? I scored with Madison!

Makenzie and Kamdyn got new babies and diaper bags. They were really cute with them.

But, who knew the bottles would be for them and not the babies!

During the party, Ryan disappeared for a few minutes and came out with his beard shaved and this monstrosity of a mustache!

Last year, Jayson made all the men in the family "Meat-sicles." Earlier in the day, Tyson said he wanted to give them back to Jay. I told him we didn't have them anymore. Tyson went right to the freezer and found them (shows how well I clean out the freezer!). So, during the gift exchange, Tyson gave Jayson year-old meat-sicles. And....believe it or not....Jayson actually tasted one! Gross! And then he almost gagged to death. I have goofy kids!

Kassi made Kris and I broken glass pictures that are really cool. Kristen also gave me a really cool picture that spells out Madson, but unfortunately, no one took a picture of it!

When Dave and Kris were first married, Dave told Kris that socks were not a Christmas present. He said if she ever gave him any, he would throw them over his shoulder like in the movie, A Christmas Story. So, ever since then, we give Dave socks for Christmas. I almost forgot this year, but Greg reminded me. Dave doesn't dare throw gifts WE give him over his shoulder!

All the older married kids gave us games this year. They went in together on some of them. We got "Ticket to Ride," which is a game Greg really likes. We got a laminated copy of the game Jayson made up. We got this cool Monopoly game that Kris personalized for our family into "Madson-opoly". The properties have different addresses where we have lived with pictures of the kids on them from when we lived there. There are the three different temples where Greg and I and each of the kids have been sealed. There are properties from where the boys went on their missions. The game pieces have pictures of us on them along with all the money. It is hilarious! The man on the box lid even has Greg's face on it! There were pens, pads of paper, other games, treats, etc. Fun gifts!

The next morning we were all getting ready to take off for the Sabbath. Kris and Dave were headed to his parent's ward in SLC. Greg wanted to get a picture of all the kids in their Sunday clothes. Madison posed, but Kenzie didn't want a picture taken....so then Greg gave up....so unfortunately I don't have pictures of how darling Carter and Kamdyn looked.

Jayson and Kassi headed to Brigham to her family's house. The four of us and Ryan and Kristen's family headed to Pocatello. Greg's brother Kelly's son, Jacob, had just returned from his mission to India. He reported his mission at 1:00 in their sacrament meeting. After sacrament meeting, we headed over to my mom and dad's house for dinner and a party with Doug's family.

Here are Doug, Ali, and Jacob hanging out.

My mom gave some fun presents to the boys that kept them entertained the whole time. Valerie is an awesome mom and was playing with them for a while. She also made yummy enchiladas for dinner.

And, last but not least, here are my amazing parents and Scooby (who they adopted when we found out Tyson was allergic). All in all....a great weekend!
3 comments:
It was so much fun!!! Love you guys!!
What fun Christmas memories and traditions. I loved the story about the tree and what Tyson was thankful for. It made me cry to read it. Love your family lots....you are ALL absolutely amazing!
What great memories you and your cute family made Ü
Post a Comment