Story from the Tremonton Leader-
The odds were stacked against him and despite a valiant fight, McKinley Principal Steve Chadaz passed away during the night at Ogden Regional Medical Center. By a major miracle, his children, who live all over the country, and his wife Susan, were all able to be by his side.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced yet but will be forthcoming.
The family expressed their appreciation to the community for all the love and support shown during these difficult last few days.
A beloved principal at McKinley Elementary School he suffered a ruptured aorta early Tuesday morning. He began experiencing chest pains after doing some light chores around his Tremonton home, according to a family member.
“It is not hereditary. It was a 1 in 10,000 that that happens, just stupid luck,” said brother-in-law Joel Ramsdell.
Chadaz was taken by his wife to Bear River Valley hospital then transported to Ogden Regional that afternoon where the aorta tear was discovered. He was immediately taken in for surgery.
“During the surgery it appears he had several strokes, which affected the back side of his brain,” said Ramsdell.
The school’s PTA has set up a memorial at the front doors of McKinley Elementary where you can sign a card that they will present to the family. Community members have been asked to join in offering prayers for McKinley’s beloved principal.
This is the second principal from McKinley to pass away in the last 10 years. Brent Larson died of a heart attack in March of 2006.
On Thursday July 3rd we stopped by Ogden Regional Hospital on our way to Tyson's tournament in Park City. Steve's wife Susan saw us coming down the hall. She immediately hugged us and then proceeded to introduce Tyson to everyone as her "favorite 7th grader". She had been Tyson's math teacher this year, and she has become his favorite teacher of all time. (Before this year he has always hated math.) She thanked us for coming, for bringing cookies for the grandkids, for Greg's story in the paper about Steve. During talking to her I finally realized that Steve was going to for sure pass away. She was very resigned to the fact, but stated she wasn't ready yet. I am not sure anyone is ever ready for a spouse to pass away. I knew after talking to her that what she said was true- she is one of the most prayerful people I know, and knew she had received confirmation that this was going to happen. I loved Steve. He had been a great friend, a ward member, and my principal for five years. He was such a positive role model. At that time, three of his four children were at the hospital, and the fourth was on her way. He passed away early in the hours of the 4th of July with all of his children and wife at his side. During his funeral, his son Tyson (a doctor) stated he knew that his dad was not going to make it. He gave his dad a blessing and heard himself bless his body and brain to continue to fight (not to heal). He couldn't understand why had had been prompted to say that. But after his sister arrived, and the whole family was with Steve as he passed away, he knew that a miracle had occurred. When we went to Steve's viewing, we waited for three hours in line. I am sure there were thousands of people that paid their respects. What a tribute to a wonderful man. We ran some bread over to the family on Sunday. The viewing was Tuesday night. We stayed for the funeral on Wednesday, ran some food over to the funeral, and then headed out on our vacation to Hurricane. I am glad we have been busy. It has been hard thinking about the loss of a friend, and about his sweet family. Last night McKinley put together a celebration of their principal's life.
I loved that his family had Steve's testimony from a recent high council talk he had given that they added to his program and to his obituary:
His testimony, in his words, “As we joyfully use the map our loving Father has provided for our journey, it will lead us to holy places and we will rise to our greatest potential. I am thankful for the journeys I have encountered so far in my life. I have learned many things, sometimes the hard way but it has made me a better person. I have also learned through receiving and giving that I feel better about myself and I can see how others benefit from Christ’s love. I am so thankful for my life’s journey.”
Love you friend- until we meet again!
We also had a sweet lady in our ward pass away a week before Steve. Wanda Lewis was a sweetheart. She had even driven to Downey to play at Greg's mom's funeral for us. She had had back surgery, was home doing great, and one evening she was sitting in her chair with her husband by her side reading the newspaper, and she fell asleep and passed away. What a blow to our ward to have two such unexpected deaths so close together. Wanda and Steve only lived a house away from each other on David Drive. Wanda's sweet personality is missed as well.




No comments:
Post a Comment