Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day Three- Baltimore

We started out Saturday by having breakfast at the hotel, and then all the families walked to Camden Yard. There is a sports museum there that is pretty awesome. Baltimore is the birthplace of Babe Ruth and they also have memorabilia from all of the other sports in Maryland. The sports museum was a train depot at one time. Abraham Lincoln was in the depot six times. The last time was when they brought his body through and laid him out in the depot's waiting room for a viewing from the public. You enter into the museum through what looks like a train. I tried talking Tyson into sitting next to some of the passengers, but this is as good as I got. I loved looking at all of the items about Babe Ruth. Tyson making a call to the bull pen. They had a huge display about the negro leagues. Greg has sold many negro league replica jerseys through his ebay store, so this has always interested him. Tyson is below pretending to drive one of the buses. I loved that so many of the different museums we visited had things the kids could touch and do. Here is Tyson trying on one of the football helmets.In this area you could watch plays and pretend to be the announcer and then it would play it back to you. In the hockey area you could be the goalie. It would 'shoot' a puck at you and you would see if you could block it. It d Tyson pretending to call a play in the middle of the huddle. Tyson joining in the huddle. Outside the Oriole stadium. Chasing pigeons. Greg took a picture of me in front of Camden Street and sent it to Kamdyn. Ryan texted back and said when he told her it was Camden Street, she kept telling him, "No, it's Grandma!" I love the cute things kids say! After we left Camden Yard we headed to the inner harbor. I loved walking along the harbor. I wish it would have been warmer so that we could have enjoyed it even more. This is a picture of the USS Constellation. It was an anti-slave ship. It would intercept ships bringing slaves into the United States. We then headed to the "top of the tower" to check out the view. We took lots of pictures from all the different windows of Baltimore. After the tower, we headed to the national aquarium. Here are the boys posing in a shark's mouth. Kaden is looking at the sting rays. Below is a skeleton of a whale. The dolphins I think were our favorite to watch. They had a yoga mat that they were playing with each other with. They were pretty funny. We also all liked the jelly fish. They had tons of different kids we could look at. After the aquarium we went to place called Potbellies to eat. Sue Stevenson had told us it was a good sandwich shop. I made Greg pose so I could send a picture to Sue. After lunch we boarded buses to take us to the Raven's practice facility. They would not allow private cars on the grounds. It took us close to an hour to get to the facility. There were lots of woods around it. As we pulled up, we were amazed with how huge and beautiful it was. They have the corporate offices for the Ravens attached to the practice facility. Matt Stover who is a former kicker for the Ravens gave out the awards and autographed items for the kids. Tyson took fourth. He was pretty disappointed with his performance, but truly, he did really well. To take fourth in the entire nation is pretty awesome. After we got back to the hotel, they had a tail-gating party. There was tons of food and this awesome cake that was made by a place called Charm City Cakes. You can't tell in this picture, but the cake was HUGE! There were balloons at all the tables that were replicas of the NFL jerseys. Tyson got to take the Denver one home with him.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! You guy saw so much stuff in your short visit...most importantly..Potbelly's. (Its the best!) I hope you had lots of fun. Maybe you can come for another visit and we'll join you at Potbelly's :) Spring and Fall are beautiful! Congrats to Tyson!

Kristen said...

Love the pics in front of Camden street...you know since I was tricked into falling in love with the name before I knew it's baseball significance! Oh and charm city cakes?!!! They are so famous...did the cake taste as awesome as it looked?

Lisa said...

I haven't been to your blog in forever! Fun to catch up--what a great trip!