Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Las Vegas and Basketball

Tyson had the opportunity to play basketball in a Las Vegas tournament this past week. Greg and the boys drove to Mesquite on Wednesday night while I stayed at home because of some work obligations. I got home from meetings at the district office about 5:00 that night. I was cleaning the house, and decided to go and put on a nightgown so I wouldn't get cleanser on my school clothes. When I ran some trash out to the can in the driveway, I somehow locked myself out of the house! Talk about embarrassing! Luckily we had put a phone in the garage about a month ago, so I was able to call for help. One locksmith, and a lot of embarrassment on my part later, I was back in the house. After my class Thursday night, I drove to Jayson and Kassi's house. I got up at 4:00 Friday morning, the first day of spring break, and Jayson drove me to the airport. My flight was at 6:00, and I arrived in Las Vegas at 6:30 their time. Tyson had a game that morning at 8:00, so it was good I was able to watch. The competition and talent on the teams at the tournament were amazing. We talked to Thurl Bailey, who had a son playing, and the whole time I was talking to him I kept thinking about how TALL he is! Shaq's son was there playing...... lots of other NBA players' kids......you get the picture! After one of the games, a bunch of the boys and their families from the team went and ate at In and Out Burger. Do these boys look like they will be future employees or what? Kaden didn't want his picture taken with this sweet looking hat on.....so we had to convince him! Between games, we decided to see if we could find the pawn shop that is on the TV show Pawn Stars. It was kind of fun browsing through all of the display cases of random stuff! Greg's 49th birthday was Saturday, so I ran and bought cupcakes. After one of the basketball games, the team sang happy birthday to him, and we shared cupcakes with the team and their families. During the Saturday games, Tai Wesley, former USU player whose is trying out for the NBA, came and sat on our team's bench. Tyson thought that was pretty cool. We laughed at how rough the play got there. We saw more jump balls called in a few short days than we had seen all season long, no fouls, so you could grab and roll around the floor until they called for a jump ball. There were very few fouls called, and Tyson has quite a few scrapes, bruises, and scratches. I think it was good for Tyson to experience other teams with "big guys" his own size he had to play against. The Aggies went undefeated until the championship game. They played a team called "Team Bibby" that is sponsored by Mike Bibby (NBA player for the Miami Heat) because his son is on the team. Team Bibby had beat the same teams we had played by about the same margins. We thought it would be a good game, but the boys were somewhat awestruck, and didn't play their best. It was a good learning experience for them. After the championship game, a bunch of us went out to eat at Ellis Island Casino. We all had steak dinners, and it was the cheapest meal we at the whole time in Vegas. Easter Sunday morning, we got up and went to the pool at the hotel for a couple of hours. It was so nice to sit in the sun. I actually got a little bit sun burned. Greg and the boys had lots of fun horsing around in the pool. We stayed at the Marriott there, and I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful hotel, and they don't have a casino or allow anyone to pass out fliers there. After we checked out of the hotel, we decided to do a little walking down the strip before we left town. Here are the boys with me in front of the MGM. We ate at the Rainforest Cafe there. Here are Greg and I in front of New York New York. Tyson and Kaden in front of the Hard Rock Cafe. Greg and the boys in front of the Excalibur. I told the boys they had to have their picture taken by Mario and Luigi! After the championship game, with some really sad boys. Here are the boys with their second place trophies. I know Tyson was disappointed, the coach had promised a limo ride down the strip if they won! We were pretty proud of them though. Sunday afternoon we took off for Salt Lake City. It was sad to leave weather in the mid-eighties to return to weather in the forties. Utah was overcast, and it rained most of the way to Salt Lake. We stayed in Salt Lake that night, because we knew Tyson had baseball practice on Monday there. We stayed at the Peery Hotel. Monday morning we got up and got ready for the day. We did a little shopping, and then Dave, Kristen and the girls met up with us. It was my birthday, so it was fun to have more for the partying! Dave and Kris bought a van while we were out and about. We stopped at a little shop and bought bundt cake. We took it to Jayson's and had cake before Tyson's practice. Greg took Tyson to practice, and Kaden and I took off for home and the unpacking that comes with being gone. It was a great way to spend spring break.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Your boys are huge! I can't believe it! I am definitely thinking NBA material! LOL

Michelle said...

How much fun!!! They did so great. What an experience for them and you.